September 14-19, 2015 Union Station hosted the first annual TechweekKC conference. Days and evenings were filled with networking, guidance for startup companies, LaunchKC challenge and a summit on Big Data.
Avila Advantage students and professors attended the event and brought back new learning to help move our community forward toward building and sustaining a smart city.
Tech Week Learnings:
Taking Smart Risks– a session led by Elise Mitchell. Her company Mitchell Communications Group provides support in developing talent, equipping leaders, and growing businesses. Ms. Mitchell’s presentation focused on how to take smart risks. She shared 5 key areas for us all to consider as we navigate future roads:
- Learn to read the road signs
- Stay loose- don’t stiff arm
- Do not say yes to everything
- Determine the ROI
- Create a culture of try
Future of Digital Content Panel Discussion- Ethan Whitehill (Two West), Laura Blaydon (MU/DAI), Ryan O’Connell (Influence & Co.) and Alison Way (MMGY/Global) shared four types of digital content that will pave the way for future communication:
Big Data Summit & Conference and Expo- Community leaders, and entrepreneurs who are harnessing big data to drive innovation and business success.
- Progressive Learning- Speakers from: Code Fellows and Launch Code
- Growth is not Hacking- Keynote Speaker: John Jantsch, Duct Take Marketing
- Building the City of the Future- Speakers from: KC Digital Drive, Mark One Electronics, and Big Think Partners
- Cloud or No Cloud- Speakers from: Pivotal, Cisco, and Cloudera
- Evolving the Fan Experience- Speakers from: the KC Chiefs, KC Royals, Edge Up Sports, and Sporting KC)
Moving toward creating Smart Cities- Bob Berkebile (Partner, Sustainable Development Partners KC), Matthew Condo (CEO, Bardave Heath Innovations), and Michele Weigand (Chief Transformation Officer, National Security Campus) discussed the creation of a Center for Collaborative Innovation and Technology located in Mid-town KC.